Friday, September 25, 2009

ART SHOW 2.0


From my student days to about the year 2000, the Kodachrome slide, was the medium used to promote my paintings. I would send out packets containing a sheet of slides and a resume to prospective galleries and curators with the hope of representation or inclusion in a juried show. This process was costly, time consuming and usually fruitless. Digital photography, in-house publishing and the Internet have swept film to the sidelines. Now speed is the new nemesis, "get it to me by lunch". My upcoming show came together with mind boggling efficiency. What would have taken at least 2 months; a magazine spread, updated website and printed invitation, could be accomplished in less than 3 weeks.

After 74 years Kodak has pulled the plug on Kodachrome film. Photographers will lament the passing, (you cannot beat the color and durability of the film) painters, not so much. I have read you can get a digital camera with a "Kodachrome" exposure setting.