Saturday, July 10, 2010

The $10 Tomato


Every year about this time "I swear I am never planting a garden again". Calling what I attempt to grow "a garden" is a bit of a stretch, for the past several years mine amounts to a few tomato plants and some herbs. Our small city lot has been taken over by decorative shrubs, the studio and shady trees, no space for crops. This was not always the case, in the '90's I had a nice 5 by 16ft. fertile plot where, depending on the year, yielded tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and okra. That space was abandoned several years ago, no sun. My new strategy?, large pots I could position depending on the sun, accept for the herbs, not much success. This year I bought one super-duper hybrid tomato plant, quality potting soil, plant food and was determined to get fresh tomatoes. With careful watering it was looking good. I had about 12 fruits in various stages of development when I picked the one you see above. Came out the next morning, destruction, squirrels had decimated the plant, green tomatoes, flowering tops all gone, thus my $10 tomato, and it was delicious.